Send out social messages, linking back to your Release
Expand your reach by including Social messages to the publication of your Releases. The platform supports multiple Social channels and partner integrations.
1. Once the publication states of the Releases in the publication page have been set correctly, Social messages can be added.
2. Click on the "plus" icon next to "Distribution channels" to open the Distribution options.
3. In here, you can select a Social channel on which you want the message to appear. Click on "Add channel", to unfold the list of options. For this article, we are using Twitter but for every other channel, the same steps apply.
4. If you don't have an account connected, select "New Twitter account". Depending on the channel you have selected, an authentication screen will show in which you will be asked to connect your account.
5. After connecting, or if you already had accounts connected, a list will appear with the available accounts. Select the account you want to post your message to.
6. After selecting the account, a message field will appear that is automatically populated with the title of the Release and its URL. This message can of course be modified.
7. Once all revisions have been made, click on "Add" to add the message to the Release publication. The message will now appear on the right side of the listed Release. By clicking on the pencil, the message can be altered. By clicking on the 'cross' icon, the message can be deleted.
When will the Social message be posted?
- If the Release is scheduled to a date in the future, the Social message will be posted on that selected date and time to the selected Social channel.
- If the Release is already published, the Social message will be posted immediately to the selected Social channel.
- If the Release is currently unpublished, the Social message will not be posted until the Release is published.
When a Social message is posted, it cannot be edited or removed anymore. Posted messages will show a 'checkmark' icon.
By default, the AddThis widget is used for various newsroom and release modules for sharing content across multiple social channels. If you want to track AddThis clicks, it's possible to add your AddThis publicID. To do this, click on the user icon in the top right corner. Choose 'Personal Settings'. In the new screen, click on 'Advanced', so you should see the AddThis options:
As seen in the screenshot above, you can also turn this integration off by toggling the switch to 'OFF'.
Releases in non-Latin alphabets
If you have a release containing a safename in a non-Latin alphabet, such as Arabic, this may cause problems with including the release URL in a tweet. There are two options to resolve this issue:
- Use an English safename instead
- Use a URL shortener, such as bit.ly. For this to work, you'll need a bit.ly account. They have a free plan that allows you to shorten 1000 URLs per month.