How to use the Media Manager to organize, access, remove, and edit digital assets.
This article will explain how to use the Media Manager module to add, delete and access all photos, videos, audio files, uploaded documents and stock photos in one central location. The Media Manager is where titles, descriptions and categories (or tags) can easily be added to media, as well as copywriting and thumbnail editing. It serves as the main library for all digital assets that exist on the Newsroom and Releases.
2. The Media Manager will open, showing the library of all images that have been used on a Release or the Newsroom. If no media files have been added yet, a link will appear that can be clicked to begin uploading.
3. Choose which media type to work with by clicking the drop-down menu next to the search box. To add media files or URLs, click the blue “Upload” button in the upper right corner.
Note: Media manager allows for bulk uploads. Simply select all files to add to the Media Manager:
5. Media can also be uploaded via URL by clicking the link at the bottom right.
6. Enter the URL of the media item to be added to the Media Manager, and click “Upload via URL”.
7. Various modules make us of the Media Manager for selecting multimedia items. When the Media Manager is opened from within a module, it will open in Thumbnail view by default. This view shows less details but will show bigger thumbnails for easier selection. This view can be set to default mode by clicking on "List view". Clicking on "Thumbnail view" will restore it back to the Thumbnail version.
You'll then be able to add the correct titles, descriptions, and categories.
Note: This will be visible as a caption on images:
8. Add a "Category" tag. This will group images together by category in the Media Library that is visible on the Newsroom.
9. Further customize the media by clicking the “Options” cog icon.
10. Click all options that are relevant to the media. For images, the thumbnail can be customized.
- Choose any applicable language settings.
- If the media should not appear on the Newsroom Media Library, which is visible to readers, click the box to “Exclude from Media Library”.
- Add any Copyright text relevant to the media item.
- To change how the thumbnail of an image will appear, click the blue “Edit Thumbnail” button.
Clicking on the thumbnail or icon of an item will show a preview of that item and the URL to the file.
- In the next window, the image thumbnail can be changed by clicking and dragging the crop square, and clicking "Crop Image".
- To easily replace a media file, while maintaining title, description, and any other information, click the red “Upload New File” button under “Replace file”.
- Click “Save”.
Besides uploading images of your own, you also have the option of browsing a library full of stock photos.
Learn more about how to edit uploaded images in the Media Manager in bulk.
When you upload a file, the item is either published or unpublished. Published means that the item is visible in the Media Library. An item is published when it is uploaded in the Media Manager of a published Release or published Newsroom. An item is unpublished when it is uploaded in the Media Manager of an unpublished Release or Newsroom or when the "Manual media selection" is toggled on.
You then have to manually uncheck the "Exclude from Media Library" checkbox as shown in the image below. Items which are uploaded in unpublished Newsroom and Releases will be automatically published when the Newsroom or Release gets published.
11. Click "Execute Mass Edit" to apply changes.
12. Click "Save".
The Media Manager is now updated and will be accessible anytime a Multimedia module is created, whether in a Release or on the Newsroom.