How to exclude certain videos or images from appearing on the Media Library
Not all images, videos and other assets are meant to be published on the Media Library. This article will explain how to exclude media from appearing in the Media Library of the Newsroom.
Table of contents:
- Exclude a single image from the Media Library
- Exclude all newly uploaded assets from the Media Library by default
- Force publishing images in unpublished articles
Exclude a single image from the Media Library
1. Go to "Asset Manager" from the left side module menu.
2. Click on the cog icon at the right side of the item that should be excluded.
3. Check the box next to "Exclude from Media Library".
4. Click "Save".
The item will no longer be visible to visitors on the Media Library page, and will no longer be visible in search results.
5. To add items back to the Media Library, uncheck the box next to "Exclude from Media Library".
Exclude all newly uploaded assets from the Media Library by default
It's also possible to set this as default behaviour, so all newly uploaded assets will be excluded from the Media Library unless explicitly indicated.
To do this, click the user icon on your navigation bar and choose 'Account Settings'.
Click on 'Advanced' where you should see the option 'Manual Media Selection':
Toggling this switch to the 'on' setting will prevent all newly uploaded assets from appearing in the Media Library. Click 'Save' and you're done.
Force publishing images in unpublished articles
Some users upload assets into the Asset Manager when actively in a draft article or newsroom. This will cause the asset to stay unpublished as well. This is by design because you don't want unpublished or possibly embargoed assets to be popping up in the Media Library.
However, in some cases you may want to publish an image anyway, even if the article it is in should not be published.
By clicking the 'Force publish' button in the top right corner you can publish an image to the Media Library even if the article the image is in, is still unpublished.