Guidelines for maintaining a healthy sender reputation.
Maintaining a good sender reputation is very important in order to avoid spam boxes and blacklists. This means that you need to maintain a low email bounce rate, or it might impact your deliverability.
This article will explain the best practices of email distribution.
Maintain List Hygiene
Follow the below steps to maintain a healthy contacts list for all campaigns:
- Remove any addresses that have hard bounced immediately (e.g. invalid address).
- Remove emails that repeatedly soft bounce (e.g. inbox full).
- Remove email addresses that are inactive; no opens, or clicks. Mailbox providers take interaction, such as open or clicks, as a positive sign that improves reputation.
It's recommended that after each sent out campaign, you review your list of hard and soft bounces and take action accordingly.
How to check if a email address is invalid
Monitor Sender Score
- Monitor sender score with handy tools such as Senderscore.org and make sure the email server is not blacklisted using MX Toolbox.
- Use an unsubscribe link in every email sent. This is required by law, and sending an email to an address that has previously unsubscribed is a violation of the law.
- Make sure all recipients of your campaign have opted in to receive emails. If you have purchased contacts from a third party, always make sure the third party ensures consent of the recipients.
- Keep images to a minimum to avoid triggering spam filters, and to reduce the load time of the email. Avoid using large file-size images.
- Make your emails interesting and clickable: how people interact with your messages has an impact on your sending reputation.
- Too many images and links in your email may trigger spam flags. Keep an eye on your text-to-image ratio.
- Don't use URL shorteners in your email; these are frequently used by spammers.
- Subject lines should not be in ALL CAPS.
- Make sure your emails are not too large. Keep in mind that many email servers will reject emails larger than 20 MB. This includes attachments.