Google News is a service that aims to organize all the world’s news, while providing the best possible experience for visitors seeking useful and timely news information.
This article will explain the steps to get Newsroom content included on Google News.
1. Define what news will be included in Google News
Not everything that is being published online will be included in Google News. The guidelines for content are:
- Write news about recent events
- Share original content
- Be accountable and transparent
- Do not misrepresent yourself or your purposes
- Limit ads
2. Follow best practices.
- Write news: Do not share articles created primarily for promoting a product or organization, or selling or monetizing links. If your sites mixes news with other types of content, then it is a good idea to separate non-news types of content and only submit the news subdomains for inclusion
- Articles URL’s should be unique and permanent.
- At the moment, Google is not able to include audio files or multimedia content. However it can sometimes crawl supplementary text on pages with this type of content and does include some videos from YouTube.
- It is recommended to submit a Google News Sitemap through a Search Console account after the site has been reviewed and approved by Google. You can find the sitemap of the Newsroom by adding
/sitemap.xmlafter the URL of the newsroom.
3. Apply for inclusion
Once the site follows both the general and technical news index guidelines and webmaster guidelines, then apply for inclusion within the Google News Publisher Center. To apply for inclusion, take the following steps:
- Go to the Google News Publisher Center
- Verify ownership of the news site in Search Console
- Click request inclusion in Google News
- Enter the site’s details including news section URLs and labels, and click submit
- Come back to check the site’s inclusion status in 1-3 weeks
If the site is accepted, it will say “Included” under News. If it has been rejected, it will say “Review complete: Site rejected.”